Halcyon Island provides a wide range of drumming activities through drum circles and individual lessons with the purpose of bringing people together to have fun, provide social connections, promote self-expression, reduce stress, and to learn a new skill.
Halcyon Island is a company dedicated to providing a wide range of drumming activities.
We provide community drum circles and customized drum circles with the purpose of bringing people together to have fun, provide social connections, promote self-expression, reduce stress.
We also provide individual percussion lessons to people of all ages and abilities.
Community Drum Circles
- Open to all ages
- No registration required – just drop in!
- No musical experience needed – if you have a heartbeat, you can drum!
- Drums provided (you are welcome to bring your own)
Customized Drum Circles
- Health & Wellness
- Special Events
Customized Drum Circle
Interested in a Customized Drum Circle?
- All ages & abilities
- Snare drum
- Drum set – all styles
- Mallet percussion
- Hand drums (djembe, bongo)
- Individualized lesson plans
- Flexible schedule, allowing for make-ups
Utilize Smart Music, interactive music learning software that helps students practice music, get better faster, and make practicing more fun.
Snare drum: Alfred’s Drum Method, Book 1
Drum set: Alfred’s Beginning Drum Set Method
Mallet Percussion: A Fresh Approach to Mallet Percussion
Jazz Drum set: Advanced Techniques for the Modern Drummer by Jim Chapin
Practice Policy & Tips
- Students are strongly encouraged to practice 20-30 minutes 5 days per week
- Try to practice the same time and place each day
- Buy and use a metronome (there are free metronome apps for mobile devices)
- Practice slowly until you are comfortable with the lesson. Gradually increase the tempo
- Listen to all kinds of music
- Learn and practice rudiments
- Count the rhythm out loud
- Relax! Too much tension in the wrists will not help you get better
- Bongo’s and Bud’s Music Center 820 Main Street, Hopkins, MN 55343
- In-home lessons available upon request
- Flexible payments:
- $28.00 per lesson; or
- $112.00 per month. This averages out to 4 lessons per month
- Due at the beginning of the beginning of the month, if paying monthly
- Due at the lesson, if paying per lesson
- Accepted: cash, checks, Venmo, credit cards (online or in-person)
Make-up lessons are available and preferred, schedule permitting.
Sign-up for Lessons
Currently a Student/Parent?
Meet the Founder & Managing Director
Founder and Managing Director
Dan Neumann has been a professional musician for over 40 years, performing in many different musical settings, including: jazz trios; musicals; timpani in churches; community concert bands; marching band; Dixieland bands; just to name a few. He has taught individual percussion lessons to hundreds of students of all ages since 1998.
Dan holds a Master of Social Work (MSW) degree and has provided professional social work services, including psychotherapy, to children and families over a span of 35 years. He is an adjunct faculty member at the University of Minnesota, School of School Work.
In June 2019 Dan launched Halcyon Island to further his passion for empowering others through drumming.
Dan is a trained HealthRHYTHMS facilitator. HealthRHYTHMS is a fun, evidence-based whole person strategy which promotes socialization and ensures a healthy non-strenuous workout.
“It’s time to stop thinking about the drum as just a musical instrument. Start thinking of it as a unifying tool for every family, a wellness tool for every retiree and an educational tool for every classroom.”
-Remo Belli, CEO/Founder of Remo, Inc.
See what they’re saying.
Our happy customers have a lot to say about our services!
What a fun, comfortable experience for all ages and skill levels.
Thanks for all you do. I have noticed a change in my son’s technique, and also his excitement to play drums again!
You work so well with our son, so thank you!